South Hetton Primary School is proud to announce its first ever science fair on Tuesday 17th April 2018. Lets explore your scientific creativity with a chance to win some fantastic prizes.
What is it? A Science Fair is, very simply, a celebration of Science
Who can take part? The Science Fair is open to children from EYFS to Year 6.
How can I take part? To take part, simply carry out a Science investigation, experiment of project over the Easter Holidays and then present your work.
How do I think of a project? Choose a Science question and then think of a way to answer it. You might carry out an experiment, an investigation, a research project…the choice is yours. Don’t like any of these questions? No problem! Choose a question and project idea of your very own. (Google Science Fair Project Ideas and hundreds of ideas will pop up! https://gb.education.com/science-fair/first-grade/ is a very good webpage, packed full of ideas )
- Are all fruit seeds the same?
- Do plants need sunlight to survive or is artificial light enough?
- What is the best way to wash our hands?
- What colours/ shapes exist in the natural world?
- Do all leaves have the same vein pattern?
- Do some liquids expand more than others when frozen?
- Do some colours of M&Ms melt faster than others?
- Which food moulds the fastest?
How do I present my project? There are lots of ways to present your project. You could choose form the following ideas or come up with an idea of your own.
- A poster
- A scrapbook
- A model
- A working experiment
- A PowerPoint presentation
What will happen on the day? On the day of our Science Fair, children will be able to set up their Science work in the school hall from 2pm onwards and parents will be invited to explore our Science Fair from 3pm onwards. Projects will be judged by a panel of judges and prizes will be awarded in EYFS+KS1 and KS2
We hope that you will take part and have fun working on your projects over the Easter holidays.