At South Hetton Primary School we recognise each child as an individual, understanding that they learn in different ways and at different rates.
All pupils in school receive a high standard of quality first teaching, meaning that a range of teaching and learning styles are used and that the learning objectives set are realistic and achievable.
All pupils follow the National Curriculum at a level and a pace that is appropriate to their abilities. Our SEND philosophy places SEND children at the heart of personalised learning and our curriculum is tailored to meet individual pupils needs. At times and when it is felt appropriate, modifications to the curriculum may be implemented.
To successfully match pupil ability to the curriculum South Hetton Primary School remain committed to:
- A range of teaching and learning styles
- Appropriately differentiated tasks that match the needs of individuals
- Access to physical resources to support learning, including ICT and technology
- Additional in class support
- Additional support outside of the classroom through appropriate interventions
- An intervention timetable which addresses needs in all areas, including social, emotional, physical and behavioural needs
- Flexible in-class groupings to develop independence and confidence and reflect he individuality of our pupils
- An innovative, engaging and supportive curriculum
- A wide range of exciting and engaging enrichment opportunities
- Appropriate use of rewards and sanctions
- A broad range of extra-curricular activities, including one-to-one support and appropriate booster sessions
- An objectives-based assessment procedure which highlights small steps of progress, emphasising pupils’ strengths and achievements
- Applications during national testing at Key Stage 2 to obtain access arrangements as appropriate
Our classes remain by cohort and are mixed ability with a Teacher and Teaching Assistant in every class. Group interventions, one-to-one support and bespoke interventions are provided where appropriate.
Our curriculum also includes the social and emotional aspects imperative for lifelong learning, delivered through our PSHCE curriculum. British Values and our South Hetton Values – Independence, Tolerance, Perseverance, Determination and Respect – feed through all aspects of daily school life, further preparing our pupils for the future.
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment.